The Sad, the Bad, the Grievous


Sometimes when my life is particularly boring and I do a Tarot reading for myself, other people's lives will show up in the cards. I usually won't know who the cards are telling me about but it is usually evident when the event that happens, happens. Recently I drew this spread:

Devil Death Sun

I really had to stop and realize that this wasn't a happy reading. The Sun at the end may, at least initially, give you the idea that there is a happy ending but in this case I assumed that it was implying a sudden and unexpected death. Literal, physical death isn't something that I would usually see but it definitely happened. In this case, it was the wife of a close friend of the family who was under a lot of stress (The Devil) and had a sudden, unexpected heart attack (The Sun) and passed away (Death).

I have heard a lot of Tarot readers say things like physical death must be supported by cards like the 10 of Swords or the 5 of Cups (the traditional card of a funeral) but the reality is that Tarot readers are each unique people who interpret the cards based on their personal experience. There isn't a set-in-stone way of interpreting the cards. Sometimes, what feels right is right whether traditional meanings are supported by the interpretation or not.

While I would never assume that physical death was the first, or best, interpretation for a set of cards, in this case I did keep my family home all weekend and generally acted a little paranoid. When the sad, the bad or the grievous cards show up, taking a few steps on the side of caution isn't too odd, is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Strength Card and Anger

How Often To Read Tarot Cards

Lose Something? Finding Lost Objects with Tarot